16 July 2009

Life imitating nature....

What a strange day, weather-wise, it's been today... warm, almost humid, then torrential rain and autumnal conditions... I've been torn between my favourite jumper and my waterproof mac for most of the day. It struck me, as I meandered around, how much life imitates nature in recovery... we can be up, riding along on a serene fluffy cloud of hope, aspiration and real achievement and then come crashing down into another microclimate of depression, angst, guilt and shame... thankfully, those days have become infrequent in my world but I am reminded, nonetheless, that my new improved coping mechanisms allow me to transcend my lower self and move away from wallowing in the doldrums for a day, week, month or more... I'm reminded of Tom Waits' fantastic 'Emotional Weather Forecast' now as I write this and his beautiful and painfully drawn lyrics on many albums about addiction and the roads it takes a person down. Needless to say, he's one of my favourite singer-songwriters... even - and maybe particularly - in sobriety! A reminder that a cold front, followed by much precipitation, always looms large when one neglects - or even forgets - one's recovery...

No comments: