2 March 2010

Treading Water...

I'm experiencing one of those frustrating times when one just has to wait.... and wait... and wait... The information I'm waiting for is beyond my grasp and will determine the rest of the year for me... but I must wait a while longer. To date, I've waited 6 months for this information and each day becomes longer as the wait continues....

This put me in mind of a lecture I attended a couple of years ago at Samye Ling Tibetan Buddhist Centre. Rob Nairn, a wonderful teacher, was talking of restlessness - the kind which comes upon us when we no longer feel in control.... the kind which leads to road rage when we're stuck in traffic. Thankfully, I've not experienced road rage. Perhaps I remember his words.... When we're stuck in a situation like this and it's beyond our control, we can choose to accept it or resist... and, in this case, resistance really is futile. When we move into acceptance... a sigh, a shrug, a physical shaking-off tension... and give ourselves permission to relax... to watch the 'What if...' disaster movie playing over in our mind's eye dispassionately and just to let it go... 'What if I don't make it to the airport?' "Ok... so I can spend the next 30 minutes becoming more agitated or I can just resign myself to taking another flight... If I make it, great! If I don't, I'm now focusing my energy on creating Plan B!".

Allowing my intution to guide me through this waiting room, with shells of 'What ifs?' exploding around me when impatience shows up, allows me to shine awareness on the facts and to cut the fictional disaster movie. I continue to wait, with patience mostly, knowing in my heart that the time will be right when the Universe decides... and not when I do!